backdrop

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Character flaw

I don't like vegetables, there, I said it. I never have, but as a child I assumed that I would like them when I grew up, because my parents were grown-ups, and they ate vegetables. Well fast forward, I'm an adult now, and I'm still not particularly fond of them.

Now don't get me wrong, I tolerate them much better than I ever used to, and I generally eat them simply because I know I should, particularly in the presence of my students. But I would much rather waste calories on something that I actually enjoy eating.

And now we finally come to the actual point of this rant, there is one way that I have found to cook veggies that turn them into something that I can't get enough of (and my husband agrees, so it's not just me). Plus it's super easy, so easy in fact that it typically makes it onto my menu twice a week.

Start with pre-packaged vegetables (perfect because they are available year round and won't spoil in the freezer). We prefer a california blend (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and squash), but choose whatever you like. Thaw them before cooking.

Heat 2+ tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet. Add your veggies and cook until the edges begin to brown and vegetables are cook through. Enjoy, I promise they will taste like something you would get at a restaurant!

No comments:

Post a Comment