backdrop

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Thank goodness for the weekend

To say that going to work has been difficult this week would be an understatement, which is why I am so glad that it is the weekend. At least on the weekend I can pretend that nothing has changed, I can still be myself and do what I enjoy. And thank goodness, I can revel in doing nothing at all if I want.

I did get a couple of things done today. I finally got the rest of my Easter decorations out, and I dyed eggs. I came up with a bit of a brainstorm this year, if I may say so myself. See, I haven't dyed eggs since I moved out of my parents house because no one in my house eats hard boiled eggs, and I just couldn't see buying them, dying them, and then never eating them. This year I decided to go ahead and dye my eggs without hard boiling them first. I figure, I have a ton of baking to do this week, so at least I can enjoy the pretty eggs when I crack them into a bowl.

That said, I wanted to make sure that I used dye that was food safe, because I wasn't sure how much of the dye would actually touch the egg inside of the shell. I had considered dying them with coffee, but I really wanted fun, bright colors. I found a ton of different spices and berries that I could use, but I really didn't want to buy all of this stuff, so I used something that I already had plenty of in my cupboard - food coloring.

Genius, right?! It was so simple, I put a blob (really technical and precise) of gel food coloring in a bowl, added a half of a teaspoon of vinegar, so that the color would adhere to the egg a little better, then I filled the bowl with water and whisked until the gel was dissolved. I added a couple of eggs to each bow and then put the bowls all in the fridge for at leas two hours. When I rinsed them off I was pleasantly surprised. Some colors definitely worked better than others, the pink and purple were super bright while the yellow barely showed up at all. That said . I would definitely do it this way again! Now I can't wait to bake!

No comments:

Post a Comment